Melfort man released on bail in case involving property theft, fleeing police

By Charlene Tebbutt
July 12, 2018 - 5:00pm

Melfort man facing charges in connection with stolen property and a police chase last month successfully argued for his release from custody Thursday.

Barkley Swenson is facing charges of possession of stolen property, obstructing a peace officer, attempting to evade police, dangerous driving and being unlawfully at large while on an undertaking in connection with an incident June 24. Swenson, 44, represented himself at a bail hearing on the charges Thursday at Prince Albert Provincial Court.

The Prince Albert Police Service said in a release last month that Swenson was charged after patrol officers spotted a suspicious vehicle crossing the bridge into the city around 2:30 a.m. on June 24. Police said a truck was seen towing two Sea-Doos and a small ATV on a trailer, along with a barbecue. Police stopped the vehicle, but the driver sped away, leading officers through the city. Police then chased the suspect on foot after the driver allegedly fled.

Swenson played several seasons with the Prince Albert Raiders hockey team in the early 1990s. He is scheduled to be back in court on the charges August 2.

He is presumed innocent at this stage.

 

EDITOR'S NOTE: Comments on this story are closed as the case is before the courts.

[email protected]

On Twitter: @CharleneTebbutt

Melfort man going extra mile for Parkinson's fundraising campaign

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.