Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter

Northeast News

Improvement proejcts
Melfort street improvement projects to wrap up mid-October
The City is providing an update on roadworks in Melfort this summer. Director of Works and Utilities Kalyna Cipywnyk told northeastNOW the 2025 Street Network Improvement Project includes several streets across the city. That includes: Pavement, sidewalk and curb on 100 Block of McKendry Ave E and in front of Reynolds ...
2h ago
Read More
Taking flight
North Sask. airline signs 15-year deal with Cameco, Orano
Some uranium mine workers in rural Saskatchewan can count on air transport between their worksites and professional training for the next 15 years because of a new $500 million agreement, reached between Cameco, Orano, and Rise Air.The deal also invests in initiatives like the Dziret'ai pilot training program, which ai...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
Traffic stop
Man, woman charged after weapons and drugs found during traffic stop
Two people face charges after a traffic stop on a grid road west of Nipawin. RCMP were called to assist conservation officers with Provincial Protective Services during the stop Wednesday morning. The conservation officers had stopped a man and woman travelling in the area with a significant quantity of drugs and weapo...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
Firefighting career
Humboldt Fire Department hosting recruitment information session and tryout
Have an interest in becoming a volunteer firefighter? If so, the Humboldt Fire Department has an opportunity for you to learn more about the process, and what the role entails. They are hosting a recruitment information session and tryout Sept. 6. Fire Chief Mike Kwasnica told northeastNOW they receive applications thr...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
Green Municipal Fund
Village of Muenster receives $70k grant for Climate Change Risk Assessment
The Village of Muenster has received a $70,000 grant from the Government of Canada.Through the Green Municipal Fund's (GMF) Local Leadership for Climate Adaptation (LLCA) initiative, the $70K will go towards a Climate Change Risk Assessment."This risk assessment will be created by taking a look at the different mu...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
Vehicle fire
Crews respond to vehicle fire near Beatty
The Melfort Fire Department was called to a vehicle fire west of Beatty late Tuesday afternoon. A pickup truck was fully engulfed in flames by the time fire crews arrived. The occupants got out of the vehicles safely, and firefighters were able to quickly contain and extinguish the fire. - cam.lee@pattisonmedia.com
Aug 28, 2025
Read More

Saskatchewan

Arson
Man charged with sparking one of Sask's biggest wildfires
A 29-year-old La Ronge man has been charged with starting one of the province's largest wildfires of 2025 near Weyakwin.Jason Halkett is charged with one count of arson in connection with lighting the DITCH02 fire. He was arrested by police in Saskatoon on August 27. The DITCH02 fire was ignited on May 2 and was declar...
3h ago
Read More
deficit
Sask. deficit could more than double, to $815.4 million
Last week, the provincial government announced a projected $348.5 million deficit at the first quarter financial update. However, a closer look at the numbers reveals it could end up being more than double that.The Finance Minister, Jim Reiter, explained the budget had moved to that deficit from the $12 million surplus...
8h ago
Read More
27,000 units sold to date
2025 on pace to be one of Saskatchewan's biggest years for auto sales
Across the province, it has been a record year for vehicle sales according to the Saskatchewan Automobile Dealer's Association. Despite tariffs having a significant effect on sourcing auto parts and other challenges facing the Saskatchewan and Canadian economy, Executive Director of the Saskatchewan Automobile Dealers ...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
Emergency Measures
NDP repeats calls for action committee on drought relief
After nearly a decade of drought in the southwest, the Saskatchewan NDP is calling for action from the provincial government.On Wednesday, the opposition reiterated its calls for the creation of a drought action committee.The committee would involve affected producers and would focus on strengthening emergency measures...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
Crop report
Harvest progress behind average according to latest crop report
Hail and strong wind came to the province last week from several storm systems. The rain and humid conditions stalled harvest operations in some areas according to the latest provincial crop report; however, other regions saw harvest hit its stride. Twelve per cent of the crop is off, and that's behind the five- and 10...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
LOCAL TALENT
'I got the best crew': Jay Peeaychew leads Black Bear Indian Relay to 2026 Calgary Stampede spot with Medicine Hat win
For Indian Relay rider Jay Peeaychew of Red Pheasant Cree Nation, horses are not just part of the race. They're part of his family."They helped me with anxiety and depression in the past," he said."To me, they're healing animals. They heal me, and I can have the worst day ever, but as soon as I come arou...
Aug 27, 2025
Read More

Local Sports

Annual General Meeeting
Mustangs host AGM, appoint new president and vice-president
The Melfort Mustangs hosted their Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Wednesday evening, during which the club reviewed its financials from the 2024/25 season.With another deep playoff run and a trip to the Centennial Cup, expenses were high, but the team did get ahead of them. In total, expenses were $1,129,486. Total rev...
4h ago
Read More
Rivalry game
'Big time': Riders feel anticipation for Labour Day Classic in Sask
The Labour Day Classic isn't quite the same like other regular-season games.In Saskatchewan, there's a certain buzz in the air in the days leading into the annual showdown between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.Members of the Riders certainly feel something in the air heading into the game."...
8h ago
Read More
Labour Day Classic
Riders' Jaxon Ford happy to start last week, excited for Labour Day Classic
Jaxon Ford has had to be patient but now could get a chance to start in this year's Labour Day Classic.The Regina, Sask. product started at safety in the Saskatchewan Roughriders' most recent game against the Calgary Stampeders after defensive back Marcus Sayles was a late scratch due to an injury. Starting safety Nels...
Aug 28, 2025
Read More
Summer Games Medal Recap
Team Sask takes home 48 medals in Summer Games
After a hard-fought two weeks at the Canada Summer Games in St. Johns, Team Sask is leaving the games with 48 medals in hand, 44 of which were earned in the last six days of competition. Among the 48 medals were 13 gold, 14 silver and 21 bronze. Team Sask consisted of 488 athletes, coaches and managers from across the ...
Aug 26, 2025
Read More
U13 Showcase
PA/Melfort softball team dominates rest of province
The Lakeland District 8 softball team brought home gold this past weekend in dominating fashion.A Prince Albert and Melfort combined team faced off against the other seven districts in the province over the two-day tournament, going undefeated throughout, with every game being a blowout."We went undefeated this we...
Aug 26, 2025
Read More
Longtime CFL scout Craig Smith dies at the age of 69
Craig Smith, a longtime CFL scout, has died. He was 69 years old. Smith's wife, Cathy, announced her husband's death Sunday on social media. Smith was diagnosed with leukemia in October 2017 but had been battling a number of health ailments the past few years.Smith, a Winnipeg native, began his CFL career as an offensi...
Aug 26, 2025
Read More

Canada

CP NewsAlert: U.S.federal appeal's court rules Trump's tariffs illegal
WASHINGTON - A United States federal appeals court ruled today that many of U.S President Donald Trump's tariffs, including the fentanyl-related duties on Canada, are illegal but allowed for the levies to remain in place as the case likely makes its way to the Supreme Court. More coming. Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Can...
1h ago
Read More
B.C. ministry unaware of coroners attending death scenes remotely after 2019
VANCOUVER - British Columbia's Ministry of Public Safety says it was unaware of the BC Coroners Service continuing a practice of attending certain death scenes remotely after 2019. Ministry spokeswoman Tasha Schollen says the ministry's understanding was that in-person scene attendance had been "restored" six...
3h ago
Read More
Former Trans Mountain CEO to head major projects office
OTTAWA - Ottawa's one-stop shop for industry to pitch plans for large industrial construction projects will be headquartered in Calgary. The Prime Minister's Office provided details today about the major projects office which is part of its plan to get big national projects fast-tracked through the approval process. Th...
6h ago
Read More
Montreal's transit agency says too expensive to display 'Go Habs Go!' before winter
MONTREAL - Montreal's transit agency says city buses won't be able to flash the "Go! Canadiens Go!" NHL hockey slogan any time soon. The agency had removed the expression from electronic signs on buses and replaced it with "Allez! Canadiens Allez!" to appease the province's language watchdog. Follow...
6h ago
Read More
Westbank sells stake in massive Squamish Nation housing development in Vancouver
VANCOUVER - The Squamish Nation says Vancouver-based developer Westbank Corp. has sold its entire stake in its massive Senakw housing project, which broke ground in 2022 backed by a $1.4 billion federal loan for construction. A statement from the nation says OPTrust, which manages one of Canada's largest pension funds,...
7h ago
Read More
Teenager charged in terror case faces new charge of assaulting a peace officer: Crown
MONTREAL - A 17-year-old boy who allegedly intended to carry out an attack on behalf of the Islamic State is facing a new charge of assaulting a peace officer. Federal prosecutor Marc Cigana told reporters at Montreal's youth court that the alleged assault occurred at RCMP headquarters in Westmount, Que., after the tee...
7h ago
Read More

World

Utah Supreme Court blocks execution of prisoner with dementia who chose to die by firing squad
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The impending execution of a man by firing squad in Utah was blocked by the state's Supreme Court on Friday after his attorneys argued he should be spared because he has dementia. Ralph Leroy Menzies, 67, was set to be executed Sept. 5 for abducting and killing Utah mother of three Maurine Hunsake...
1h ago
Read More
US revokes visas of Palestinian president and other officials ahead of UN General Assembly
WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State Marco Rubio has revoked the visas of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials ahead of next month's annual high-level meeting of the U.N. General Assembly, where the Palestinians previously have been represented. A State Department official, who spoke on condition ...
2h ago
Read More
California energy regulators pause efforts to penalize oil companies for high profits
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California energy regulators Friday put the brakes on plans requiring oil companies to pay a penalty if their profits climb too high, a temporary win for the fossil fuel industry two years after the governor declared the state had "finally beat big oil." The postponement by the Calif...
2h ago
Read More
Bookmaker linked to baseball star Shohei Ohtani's interpreter sentenced to just over a year
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - A Southern California bookmaker who took thousands of sports bets from the former interpreter for baseball star Shohei Ohtani was sentenced to just over a year in prison Friday. Mathew Bowyer, now 50, had pleaded guilty a year ago to running an illegal gambling business, money laundering and fi...
5h ago
Read More
Bookmaker linked to baseball star Shohei Ohtani's interpreter sentenced to just over a year
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - A Southern California bookmaker who took thousands of sports bets from the former interpreter for baseball star Shohei Ohtani was sentenced to just over a year in prison Friday. Mathew Bowyer, now 50, had pleaded guilty a year ago to running an illegal gambling business, money laundering and fi...
5h ago
Read More
Sen. Ernst of Iowa is expected to announce next month that she won't run for reelection in 2026
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst, an Iraq War combat veteran and Iowa's first woman elected to Congress, is expected to announce next month she will not seek reelection, leaving another hole in an Iowa seat that could have ripple effects down the ballot as Democrats look to the state for pickup opportunitie...
6h ago
Read More