Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter
A file photo of a wildfire burning in Saskatchewan. (Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency)
Aid for Indigenous Trapline Cabins

PAGC, MN-S call for changes with disaster assistance program; SPSA requests federal help

Jul 23, 2025 | 4:50 PM

The Prince Albert Grand Council (PAGC) wants the Saskatchewan government to revise its Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) to include trapline cabins.

Under the program, assistance is available to municipalities, homeowners, small businesses, farms and non-profit organizations for uninsurable losses. However, the PAGC said seasonal-use or secondary structures — including most trapline cabins — are ineligible, even if registered through the province’s Traditional Resource User (TRU) program.

Major fires have destroyed registered cabins used by First Nations such as Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation, Lac La Ronge Indian Band, and Montreal Lake Cree Nation.

“These aren’t cottages or vacation shacks. They’re homes, workplaces and lifelines,” said Grand Chief Brian Hardlotte in a media release issued earlier this week.

“The province requires us to register these cabins and follow strict rules. But when they burn down, we’re told we don’t qualify for help. That’s a double standard, and it needs to end.”

The cabins are often one-room structures, but are central to the economic and cultural survival of many northern Indigenous families. Trappers rely on them for shelter while hunting, trapping, harvesting, fishing, and teaching traditional skills.

Few cabins are insured, in part due to their remote locations and lack of access to affordable coverage.

In Lac La Ronge Indian Band (LLRIB) territory, the Pisew fire burned more than 197,000 hectares, affecting traplines in Grandmother’s Bay, Sucker River and Hall Lake.

“Entire traplines were wiped out,” said LLRIB Chief Tammy Cook-Searson.

“We’re not asking for special treatment — we’re asking for fairness. Our members followed the rules, registered their cabins, and respected provincial guidelines. But when disaster strikes, they’re excluded from the help others receive. That’s not equitable.”

PAGC wants the provincial government to expand PDAP eligibility to include trapper cabins that are registered through the province’s TRU trappers’ program. The leadership also wants to see a new disaster recovery framework that recognizes the role of Indigenous land users and reflects a northern way of life.

In an email to larongeNOW, a spokesperson for the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA) stated they remain focused on addressing the impacts of this unprecedented wildfire season, including supporting thousands of evacuees.

“Regarding the PDAP, it provides financial assistance to eligible claimants in Saskatchewan for uninsurable damages or loss following a natural disaster,” the statement reads.

“Though not a replacement for private insurance, PDAP may help cover essential uninsurable losses such as cleanup, repairs, and temporary relocation. Trapper cabins are insurable and as such, are not eligible for assistance through PDAP.”

The statement notes the SPSA will review its programs to ensure they are meeting the needs of residents. Through the Recovery Task Team, PDAP will be discussing ways to enhance future programming to better reflect the needs of Indigenous land users in the North.

On Wednesday, a state of emergency was declared in Métis Nation – Saskatchewan’s Northern Region 3, which includes communities such as Green Lake, Pinehouse, Île-à-laCrosse, Beauval, Jans Bay, Cole Bay, Dore/Sled Lake, Patuanak and Canoe River.

The state of emergency calls on the province to include Northern Region 3 leadership on the province’s approach to wildfires to identify culturally responsive alternatives to wildfire response that prioritize community connectedness, distinctive resources, Elders, land users, harvesters and traditional knowledge keepers.

It also requests the opportunity to provide input in the province’s criteria and decision-making process with respect to the level of resources provided and the designation of what values are identified within the wildfire area.

Wildfire update

As of 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, there were 50 active wildfires in Saskatchewan. Of those active fires, four are categorized as contained, 14 are not contained, 14 are ongoing assessments and 18 are listed as protecting values. Eleven communities are currently under an evacuation order:

The province sent a letter to the federal government asking for some assistance due to the wildfire conditions continuing to impact communities and individuals in northern Saskatchewan.

Corrections, Policing and Public Safety Minister Tim McLeod sent a letter to the Federal Minister of Emergency Management and Community Resilience and Public Safety Eleanor Olszewski requesting up to 300 Type 3 fire personnel that could be utilized for wildfire mop up operations and logistical support, lodging, food and transportation required for the deployed personnel.

The province also asked for medium and intermediate helicopters for bucketing and crew movement, various protection kits like sprinkler and hose set ups and water tenders or water haulers for assisting with fire mop up and mitigation.

derek.cornet@pattisonmedia.com