Paramedics/Fire

Crews determined the CO alarm was faulty.
Crews determined the CO alarm was faulty. Cam Lee/northeastNOW

Melfort Fire Department responds to carbon monoxide alarm

By Cam Lee
January 17, 2019 - 9:30am

A carbon monoxide call in Melfort last night turned out to be a false alarm.

The Melfort Fire Department responded to a carbon monoxide alarm in the 100 Block of Melfort St. W. just after 8:45 p.m. Wednesday.

Everyone inside had safely exited by the time crews arrived.

The 11-year-old went missing after being home sick during the day.
The 11-year-old went missing after being home sick during the day. File photo/northeastNOW Staff

Girl suffers hypothermia after going missing in Bankend

By Cam Lee
January 11, 2019 - 2:00pm Updated: January 11, 2019 - 2:36pm

A frightening disappearance has led to a happy ending for a Bankend family.

Late yesterday afternoon, a parent called Wynyard RCMP late yesterday afternoon to report their 11-year-old daughter left the house between 3 and 5 p.m.

The department will no longer automatically respond to home or business fire alarm systems.
The department will no longer automatically respond to home or business fire alarm systems. Cam Lee/northeastNOW

Changes to Melfort rural firefighting policy

By Cam Lee
January 10, 2019 - 5:00pm

A big change is coming to residents and businesses covered by the Melfort District Rural Firefighting Department.

The board of directors has decided to discontinue automatic responses to home or business fire alarms, until they are authenticated by a witness.

High winds and snow can pose a risk to you and your family's safety inside your home.
High winds and snow can pose a risk to you and your family's safety inside your home. Brady Bateman/paNOW Staff

Cold weather increases carbon monoxide risk

By Ronald Quaroni
January 10, 2019 - 12:55pm

Has your carbon monoxide detector been behaving erratically over the last couple of days?

You may have a blocked vent.

Drifting and blowing snow can potentially block your home's heating ventilation system which could cause a build-up of carbon monoxide in your home.

Pages