Progress, but work left to do in reform to Quebec youth protection system: minister
MONTRÉAL — Fewer than half of the recommendations from a landmark public inquiry into Quebec’s youth protection services have been fully or largely implemented, says a five-year progress report released Tuesday.
The Quebec government launched the inquiry in 2019 following the death earlier that year of a seven-year-old girl from Granby, Que., about 80 kilometres east of Montreal, who had died of asphyxiation after being wrapped in layers of duct tape.
The child had been known to youth protection officials, who had left her in the custody of her father despite several reports of violence. The killing sparked outrage, raised questions about the province’s ability to protect vulnerable children, and led to a wide-ranging inquiry into the youth protection system.
Five years after the publication of the inquiry’s report in 2021, the government says that aside from the 29 recommendations largely or fully realized, another 27 have been partially fulfilled.


